Online poker is a fascinating and exciting Internet analog of a famous table game. In fact, online poker is any variation of a club poker on the Internet. The resource, which provides an opportunity to play such kind of games is called poker room. The game became internationally known, which is proven by enormous numbers of people playing online poker all over the world and even organizing various tournaments and poker championships.
There are different theories about the history of poker, but there is no definite opinion. Most likely this game was made up of the elements from various games. The common persuasion is that poker is rooted in dateless antiquity.
Through centuries of its development, the game became as we know it today. The progress, global network, in particular, allows anyone to play it. It is only important that a participant is at least 18 years old.
What is client software?
In order to play online poker, a website uses a special secured software. It is called a client program or a simply a client. There are several client variations:
- A separate program a user has to download from a resource and install on the computer. Every poker room its own versions of these client programs, typically supporting different operating systems.
- rich functionality and opportunities for an easy customization. Players can use means of collecting and analyzing the game statistics, which are very useful for players wishing to continuously enhance their game skills;
- operates very quickly and steadily;
- have the elaborated graphic design.
- download is required;
- works only on a particular operating system.
- Flash clients, which require no special installation on a user’s computer. Players simply have to click the necessary button in the browser and start playing. This kind of client is automatically downloaded by your Web browser and requires no additional actions from a visitor. With these clients, you can play almost on any operating system or in any browser, which supports a standard Flash technology.
- requires no installation on a computer;
- runs virtually on any operating system directly from the browser;
- a rather poor functionality (often provides only the most necessary tools to play and nothing more);
- may have different limitations.
- Mobile clients for smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. The popularity of such programs is growing alongside the increase in demand and usage of mobile apps.
- convenient format, which allows playing anytime and anywhere.
- modest functionality.
- troubles due to possible unstable Internet connection.
Whichever option you choose, it is best to start with the free version. It’s more acceptable and convenient if you are a beginner. After several training games, you can begin to develop strategy and tactics. After you successfully test it, you can gamble on money.
What are the peculiarities of online poker?
Number one feature is that no physical presence is required. A participant does not see other players, which means he cannot guess the possible cards combinations they have by deciphering those from the look, gestures and behavior of the rivals.
This is probably not a good thing for an attentive observer with strong game skills because an important source of information is absent. But for the rest of people, especially the newcomers, it’s quite a good thing because they often lose due to their emotional behavior. In online poker, they’re totally protected by the whole concept of play, so they can concentrate on the game itself, rather than control their external manifestations of emotion.
The next peculiarity lies with the dynamics of a game. In live format, a dealer shuffles cards for some time, then deals them. Players get the chance to think, while in online poker there’s no such opportunity, so the game proceeds faster. Also, online poker allows playing several games at once. Of course, this requires quick reactions and fast decisions, which are more likely to fit professional players.
Also in contrast to real establishments, virtual ones allow participants to settle themselves comfortably at home in a familiar environment, yet get the same adrenaline.
Another difference of online poker from its live version is that it offers more choices of poker types, game formats, limits, opponents, and tournaments. Poker clubs are usually open only a few hours a day, have only a few tables, and usually offer Texas Hold’em with certain strict limits. Online poker rooms provide dozens of game variations and limitless time of participation.
Thousands of people play online poker at the same time. And they do it for as long as they want, and not till the closing of a club. Such massive involvement allows poker rooms to offer smaller commissions and provide a good deal of advantages for players. For example, many poker rooms provide different kinds of incentives to attract a client. Those may include hourly bonus payments players can use in a game or signup bonuses. Typically, such rewards are not offered by land-based casinos.
Poker is clearly a very interesting and engaging game but it also bears a negative aspect – the gambling thrill, which makes it a highly addictive occupation. A beginner player has to be really vigilant and cautious to keep that kind of feeling under control. This way online poker will bring only joy and pleasure.